LOCALITIES IN VERMONT

 

Vermont Agency of Administration

Public Records Division

Montpelier, Vermont

 

This list of Vermont localities was compiled from the Appendix to Deming's Catalogue of Vermont Officers printed in 1852, Index to the Papers of the Surveyors-General published by the Secretary of State in 1918, Vermont Municipalities, An Index to their Charters and Special Acts published by the Secretary of State in 1986, 1986 Vermont Year Book published by The National Survey, Vermont state map and town maps published by the Vermont State Agency of Transportation and information supplied by local people. This compilation is not necessarily accurate or complete. In most cases localities with East, South, West, North, Center, etc. in their names have not been included unless they are one of the recognized 246 municipalities of the state. Sections of some towns such as Pumpkin Hill in Danville and Mosquitoville in Barnet were not included unless they appeared on the town maps. If you have such areas in your municipality we would be interested in learning their names. Also if you discover errors in this list we would like to know the correct information.

 

 

LOCALITIES IN VERMONT

ABNAKI - former railroad station in North Hero

ACTON - incorporated from Johnson's Gore 1800, annexed to Townshend 1840

ADAMANT - P.O. in Calais

ADAMS - Former P.O. in Grand Isle

1761 ADDISON - parts annexed to Weybridge and Waltham 18004

1781 AlKEN'S GORE - annexed to Grafton 1816

ALBANY - incorporated by change of name from Lutterloth 1815, part annexed

from Lowell 1870

1781 ALBURG - (alias Caldwell's Upper Manor, Allensbourgh, Missisco Leg, Missisco

Tongue, Point Algonquin, Point Du Detour) part annexed to Highgate 1792

ALBURG GORE - annexed to Highgate 1806

ALFRECHA - (alias Cold River) community in Clarendon

AMSDEN - village in Weathersfield

ANDERSON'S GORE - annexed to Windham 1801

1761 ANDOVER - Benton's Gore annexed 1781, part incorporated to form Weston 1799

1761 ARLINGTON

ARLINGTON - (alias Paddock's Village) section of St. Johnsbury

ARLINS - section of Canaan

ASCUTNEY - P.O. in Weathersfield, alias Ascutneyville

1780 ATHENS - part incorporated to form Brookline 1794, Avery's Gore (Windham Co.)

annexed 1815, part annexed to Grafton 1816, parts of Rockingham and

Grafton annexed 1846

1762 AVERILL - P.O. in Norton, unorganized town in Essex County

1791 AVERY'S GORE (Addison Co.) - parts annexed to Kingston 1833, and Lincoln 1847

1791 AVERY'S GORE (Chittenden Co.) - part annexed to New Huntington 1794

1791 AVERY'S GORE (Essex Co.) - unorganized

1791 AVERY'S GORE (Franklin Co.) - parts annexed to Montgomery 1858. Belvidere

1896 and Montgomery and Bakersfield 1961

1791 AVERY'S GORE (Windham Co.) - annexed to Athens 1815. part annexed to Grafton

1816

1792 AVERY'S GRANT (Orleans Co.) incorporated with Kelly's Grant into town of

Missisquoi 1801, name changed to Troy 1803

1791 BAKERSFIELD - Knoulton's Gore 1792. Knights Gore 1798, Coits Gore 1799.

and part of Avery's Gore 1961 all annexed, part of Fairfield and

Smithfield annexed 1792, part annexed to Enosburgh 1798, part incorporated

into Waterville 1824, part of Perley's Gore annexed 1986 \

BAILEYS MILLS - section of Chester

BAILEYS MILLS - section of Reading

BALTIMORE - incorporated from part of Cavendish 1793

BLACK ISLAND (Lake Memphramagog) - annexed to Derby 1865

BLACK MOUNT - former railroad station in Bradford

1785 BLAKE'S GORE - set to Stratford

BLISSVILLE - section of Castleton

BLISSVILLE - section of Fair Haven

BLOOMFIELD - incorporated from Minehead 1830

BLOSSOMS CORNERS - section of Pawlet

1763 BOLTON - part annexed to Richmond 1804 and Waterbury 1851, part annexed from

New Huntington 1808

BOLTONVILLE - village in Newbury , former P.O.

BOMOSEEN - P.O. in Castleton

BONDVILLE - P.O. in Winhall

BORDOVILLE - section of Enosburgh

BOWLSVILLE - section of Mount Holly

BOWMAN CORNERS - section of Westford

BRADFORD - name changed from Mooretown 1788

BRADLEYVALE - incorporated out of Pearsall's Gore 1803, divided in 1856 and

part annexed to Concord and part to Victory

BRAGG - section of Norwich

1781 BRAINTREE - part annexed to Rochester 1824

BRANCH - section of Craftsbury

BRANDON - incorporated by name change from Neshobe 1784, "Clemens Land"

annexed to Goshen 1854, part annexed to Chittenden 1855

1753 BRATTLEBORO

BRATTON'S GRANT - in northwest corner of Whitingham

BREAD LOAF - P.O. in Ripton

BREWERS CORNER - section of Mendon

1761 BRIDGEWATER

1761 BRIDPORT

BRIGGS - alias Bridgewater Center

BRIGHTON - incorporated by name change from Random 1832, part of Wenlock

annexed 1853, part annexed to Ferdinand 1853

BRIMSTONE CORNERS - section of Pawlet

BRIMSTONE CORNERS - section of Vershire.

BRISTOL - incorporated by name change from Pocock 1789, part annexed to

Lincoln 1824, part annexed from Ripton 1913

BROAD BROOK - section of Chelsea

CAMP BROOK - section of Bethel

1782 CANAAN - Norfolk annexed 1801, part annexed to Lemington 1837, part of

Lemington annexed 1870

CARTHAGE - alias Wyllis 1780, alias Jay 1792 (chartered as Jay)

CASSVILLE - section of Bradford

1761 CASTLETON - part of Ira annexed 1904

1761 CAVENDISH - part incorporated as Baltimore 1793

CEDAR BRANCH - section of Charlotte

CENTER RUTLAND - P.O. in Rutland

CENTERVILLE - village in Hyde Park

CENTRAL - former station in Guildhall

CENTRAL PARK - section of Vernon

CENTERVALE - alias St. Johnsbury Center

CHARLESTON - incorporated by name change from Navy 1825

1762 CHARLOTTE

CHATEAUGUAY - section of Bridgewater

CHECKERBERRY VILLAGE - section of Milton

CHELSEA - incorporated by name change from Turnersburg 1788, part of

Brookfield annexed 1829

1766 CHESTER - name changed from New Flamstead 1779

CHIMNEY CORNER - section, of Colchester

CHIMNEY POINT - in Addison former P.O.

CHIPMAN'S POINT - in Orwell

CHIPPENHOOK - village in Clarendon

CHISELVILLE - section of Sunderland

1780 CHITTENDEN - part annexed to Philadelphia 1812. Philadelphia annexed 1816,

part annexed to Sherburne 1829, part of Brandon annexed 1855

CHRISTIAN HILLS - section of Bethel

1761 CLARENDON - part annexed to Ira 1854

CLARK - section of Sutton

CLEVELAND CORNER - section of Hyde Park

CLOVERDALE - section of Westford

COITS GORE - annexed to Bakersfield 1799, incorporated with parts of two

other towns to form Waterville 1824

COLBYVILLE - village in Waterbury

1763 COLCHESTER - part annexed to Milton 1868, Loomis Island (Winooski River)

annexed 1872, part annexed to Winooski City 1921, 1977

1753 DUMMERSTON - name legally changed from Fullam in 1937 (known as Dummerston

from the beginning)

1763 DUNBAR - charter lapsed, same land as Sudbury 1764

1798 DUNCANSBORO - name changed to Newport 1816

1763 DUXBURY

EASTHAM - community in Shrewsbury

1790 EAST HAVEN

EAST MILLS - community in New Haven

EAST MONTPELIER - incorporated by dividing Montpelier 1848

EDGEWATER - section of Marshfield

1781 EDEN - part of Belvidere annexed 1828

EDEN MILLS - P.O. in Eden

EGYPT - section of Bakersfield

EGYPT - section of Lyndon

1781 ELMORE

ELY - village in Fairlee

ELY - name changed from Vershire 1878, changed back to Vershire 1882

ELYSIANA - alias Holland

EMERSON - community in Rochester

1780 ENOSBURG - part of Bakersfield annexed 1798. Enosburg Gore annexed 1803,

parts annexed to and from Berkshire 1838, part of Perley's Gore

annexed 1986

1763 ESSEX

EUREKA - former P.O. in Rutland

EVANSVILLE - village in Brownington

EVARTS - former station in Hartland

EWELLS MILLS - community in Peacham

FACTORY POINT - community in Rochester, also area in Manchester

FAIRBANKS MILLS - section of Walden

1783 FAIRFAX - part annexed to Cambridge 1841

1763 FAIRFIELD - part annexed to Bakersfield 1792, Smithfield annexed 1792, part

annexed to Sheldon 1851

1779 FAIR HAVEN - divided into two towns: Fair Haven and West Haven 1792, part

annexed to New York 1876

1761 FAIRLEE - divided into two towns, Fairtee and West Fairlee 1797

FAIRMONT - former station in East Montpelier

FANE - see Newfane

GAYSVILLE - village in Stockbridge

GEBBIE CORNER - section of Greensboro

1763 GEORGIA

GILEAD - chartered as Random 1781, name changed to Brighton 1782

GILMAN - village in Lunenburg

1761 GLASTENBURY - chartered as Glossenbury

GLEN - section of Rutland Town

1783 GLOVER

GOODRICH CORNER - section of Addison

GOODRICH FOUR CORNERS - section of Norwich

GOOSE CITY - section of Dover

GOOSE GREEN - community in Corinth

GORHAMTOWN - section of Poultney

GORDON LANDING - community in Grand Isle

1782 GOSHEN - north part of Philadelphia annexed 1814, part annexed to Ripton 1820,

1798 part annexed to Rochester 1847, Goshen Gores severed 1854, "Clemens Land"

in Brandon annexed 1854

GOSHEN - section of Bradford

1798 GOSHEN GORE #1 (ADDISON/CALEDONIA CO.) - between Wheelock and Stannard-

severed from Goshen 1854, incorporated by change of name to Stannard 1867

1798 GOSHEN GORE #2 (ADDISON/WASHINGTON CO.) - between PIainfield and Harris's

Gore - severed from Goshen, 1854, annexed to Plainfield 1855 and 1874

GOSLANTS MILL - section of Walden

GOULDSMILL - section of Springfield

GOULDSVILLE - alias Northfield Falls

GRAFTON - incorporated by change of name from Tomlinson 1792, parts of Athens

and Avery's Gore annexed 1816, part annexed to Athens 1846

GRAHAMVILLE - section of Ludlow

1761 GRANBY

GRAND ISLE - incorporated by change of name from Middle Hero 1810 it was

part of South Hero 1788 - 1789 and a part of Two Heros 1779 - 1788

GRANGERVILLE - community in Pittsford

GRANITEVILLE - village in Barre Town

GRANT - former station in Westminster

GRANTVILLE - alias Kingston, part of Avery's Gore annexed 1833

GRANVILLE - incorporated by change of name from Kingston 1834

GREEN BAY - section of Peacham

1762 HINESBURGH

1753 HINSDALE - name changed to Vernon 1802

HITCHCOCK'S GORE - became part of Putney 1783

HOLDEN - community in Chittenden

1779 HOLLAND - alias Elysiana

HOOKERVILLE - section of Cabot

HOPKINS GORE - composed of Hopkins Grant and Pearsalls Gore

HOPKINS GRANT - alias Hopkinsville, alias Hopkintonia

1790 HOPKINSVILLE - Burke Tongue annexed and both incorporated to form Kirby 1807

HORTONIA - community in Hubbardton

HORTONVILLE - village in Mount Holly, former P.O. in Hubbardton

HOUGH CROSSING - section of Orwell

HOUGHTONVILLE - village in Grafton

HOUSE and FASSETS GRANT - became part of Enosburg 1803

HUBBARD CORNER - section of Georgia

1764 HUBBARDTON - part annexed to Sudbury 1806

1763 HUNGERFORD - name changed to Sheldon 1792

HUNT (HUNT GRANT) - set to Whitingham 1787

1763 HUNTINGTON - name changed from New Huntington 1795, part annexed to Bolton 1808

1789 HUNTSBURGH - name changed to Franklin 1817

HUNTSVILLE - community in Fairfax

HUTCHINS - section of Montgomery

HYDE ISLAND (Lake Champlain) - annexed to North Hero 1822

1781 HYDE PARK - part of Morristown annexed 1870

HYDEVILLE - P.O. in Castleton

INWOOD - former station in Barnet

IRA - part of Ira and other towns incorporated to form Middletown 1784, part

of Clarendon annexed 1854, part annexed to Castleton 1904

1781 IRASBURG - part of Lowell annexed 1852

IRASVILLE - village in Waitsfield

ISLAND, THE - section of Weston

ISLAND POND - village in Brighton

1779 ISLE LA MOTTE - name changed to Vineyard 1802, changed back 1830

1781 JACKSON'S GORE - incorporated with part of Ludlow into town of Mount Holly 1792

LAKE - former railroad station in Norton

LAKE DUNMORE - community in Salisbury

LAKE ELMORE - P.O. in Elmore

LAKESIDE - former station in Groton

1780 LANDGROVE

LANESBORO - section of Marshfield

LARRABEE'S POINT - section of Shoreham

LAWRENCE FOUR CORNERS - section of Windham

1761 LEICESTER

1761 LEMINGTON - part of Canaan annexed 1837, part annexed to Canaan 1870

1762 LEWIS - unorganized town in Essex County

LEWISTON - community in Norwich

LILLIEVILLE - former station in Stockbridge

LILLIESVILLE - section of Bethel

1780 LINCOLN - part annexed to Warren 1824. part of Bristol annexed 1824, part of

Avery's Gore annexed 1847, part of Ripton annexed 1869

1780 LITTLETON - name changed to Waterford 1797

1781 LONDONDERRY - part incorporated into Windham 1795, part of Windham annexed 1797

1795 LOOMIS ISLAND (Winooski River) - annexed to Colchester 1872

LOST NATION - section of East Haven

LOWELL - incorporated by name change from Kellyvale 1831, part annexed to

Irasburg 1852, part annexed to Montgomery 1858, part annexed to Albany 1870

LOWER CABOT - village in Cabot

LOWER PLAIN - section of Bradford

LOWER ROCHESTER - alias Talcville

1761 LUDLOW - part annexed to Middletown 1784. part annexed to Mount Holly 1792

1782 LUTTERLOH (LUTTERLOCK) - name changed to Albany 1815

LYMPUS - section of Bethel

1780 LYNDON

MACK'S LEG GORE - incorporated as part of Windham 1795

MACKVILLE - section of Hardwick

1761 MAIDSTONE

MALLETS BAY - in Colchester, former P.O.

MISSISQUOI - alias East Richford

MOCCASIN MILL - section of Granby

1762 MONKTON - part annexed to Starksboro 1797 and 1908

1781 MONROE - chartered as Woodbury, incorporated by name change from Woodbury 1838,

part annexed to Walden 1840, name changed back to Woodbury 1843

1799 MONTGOMERY - part of Lowell annexed 1858, part of Avery's Gore annexed 1858,

Avery's Gore annexed 1961, part of Perley's Gore annexed 1986

1781 MONTPELIER - divided into East Montpelier and Montpelier 1848, Montpelier

Town became Montpelier City 1894

1894 MONTPELIER CITY - part of Berlin annexed 1898

MOORETOWN - name changed to Bradford 1788

1763 MORETOWN - part annexed to Duxbury for school purposes

MORGAN - incorporated by change of name from Caldersburgh 1801, part set to

Wenlock 1801, Whitelaw Gore and Brownington Gore annexed 1801

MORGAN CORNERS - section of Barnard

1781 MORRISTOWN - 1/3 of Sterling annexed 1855-56, part annexed to Hyde Park 1870,

boundary with Hyde Park changed 1898

MORRISVILLE - village in Morristown

MORSES LINE - community in Franklin

MORSE'S MILLS - community in Cambridge

MORSE'S MILLS - community in Danville

MOSCOW - village in Stowe, former P.O.

MOSCOW - alias East Calais

MOUNTAIN MILLS - community in Wilmington

MOUNT HOLLY - incorporated from Jackson's Gore and part of Ludlow 1792, part

of Weston annexed 1870

MOUNT TABOR - incorporated by change of name from Harwich 1803, part of Peru

annexed 1805, part annexed to Dorset 1825, part of Danby annexed 1848

1780 NAVY - name changed to Charleston 1825

NELSON'S CORNER - section of Weathersfield

1762 NESHOBE - name changed to Brandon 1784

1781 NEWARK

NEW BOSTON - section of Norwich

1763 NEWBURY

NEW DISCOVERY - section of Marshfield

1753 NEWFANE - part annexed to Brookline 1820

1761 NEW FLAMSTEAD (NEW FLEMSTEAD) - rechartered from Flemstead, name changed to

Chester 1779

PARKERSTOWN - incorporated out of Parker's Gore (south) and Medway 1804.

name changed to Mendon 1827

PASSUMPSIC - village in Barnet and Waterford

1763 PEACHAM - west part of Deweysburgh annexed 1810

PEARL - section of Grand Isle , former P.O.

1791 PEARSALL'S GORE - incorporated into Bradleyvale 1803

PEKIN - section of Calais

PERLEY'S GORE - annexed to Bakersfield, Enosburg and Montgomery 1986

PERKINSVILLE - section of Plainfield

PERKINSVILLE - village in Weathersfield, former P.O.

PERRY - section of Sutton

PERU - incorporated by change of name from Bromley 1804, part annexed to

Mount Tabor 1805

PETH - section of Braintree

PETERS FOUR CORNERS - section of Shaftsbury

1780 PHILADELPHIA - north part annexed to Goshen 1814, remainder annexed to

Chittenden 1816

PHILLIPS' GRANT - now part of Readsboro

PIERCES CORNER - section of Clarendon

PIKES FALLS - section of Jamica

1781 PITTSFIELD - part annexed to Rochester 1806, part of Stockbridge annexed

1813, parts of Stockbridge and Sherburne annexed 1822, part annexed

to Rochester 1824, part annexed to Sherburne 1827

1764 PITTSFORD - part set to Proctor 1886

1797 PLAINFIELD - originally St. Andrew's Gore, Goshen Gore #2 annexed 1874

PLEASANT VALLEY - village in Cambridge, former P.O.

PLYMOUTH - incorporated by change of name from Saltash 1797, part annexed

to Shrewsbury 1823

1762 POCOCK - name changed to Bristol 1789

PODUNK - section of Wardsboro

1761 POMFRET - part annexed to Sharon 1807

POMPANOOSUC - village in Norwich, former P.O.

POST MILLS - P.O. in Thetford

POTHER'S POINT - section of Shetburne \

POTTERSVILLE - section of Wotcott

1761 POULTNEY - parts of and parts of other towns incorporated to form Middletown

1784, part of Wells annexed 1798

RIVERSIDE - section of Stockbridge

RIVERTON - village in Berlin

RHODE ISLAND CORNERS - section of Hinesburg

ROBINSON - section of Rochester

1781 ROCHESTER - part of Pittsfield annexed 1806 and 1824, part of Braintree

annexed 1824. part of Hancock annexed 1834 and 1847, part of Goshen

annexed 1847

1752 ROCKINGHAM - part annexed to Athens 1846

ROCKY DALE - section of Bristol

ROCKVILLE - section of Starksboro

ROGER'S GRANT - now in Readsboro

1781 ROXBURY

1781 ROYALTON

1761 RUPERT

RUSSELLVILLE - section of Shrewsbury

RUTLAND CITY - incorporated in 1892

1761 RUTLAND TOWN - part annexed to Proctor 1886, part annexed to West Rutland

1886, part used in incorporation of Rutland City 1892, part of-Rutland

City annexed 1894, part annexed to Rutland City 1923, 1941

1763 RYEGATE

SAFFORD'S GORE - alias Walden Gore

1896 ST. ALBANS CITY

1763 ST. ALBANS TOWN - Johnson's Island annexed 1842, Wood's Island annexed 1845,

separation of St. Albans City from Town 1896

1764 ST. ANDREWS GORE - incorporated into town of Plainfield 1797

ST. CATHERINE - section of Poultney

1763 ST. GEORGE - part of Shelburne annexed 1848

1786 ST. JOHNSBURY

ST. ROCKS - community in Fairfield

1761 SALEM - part annexed to Newport 1816, part annexed to Derby 1880

1761 SALISBURY - part annexed to Ripton 1832

1761 SALTASH - name changed to Plymouth 1797

SAMSONVILLE - section of Enosburg

1761 SANDGATE

SANDERSON CORNER - section of Fairfax

SAX'S MILLS - community in Highgate

SAXTONS RIVER - village in Rockingham

STACYS CROSSROADS - section of Benson

1753 STAMFORD - alias New Stamford

STANNARD - incorporated from Goshen Gore #1 1867, incorporated as town 1869

1780 STARKSBORO - part of Monkton annexed 1797 and 1908

1805 STERLING - part annexed to Cambridge 1828, divided 1//3 each to Johnson,

Morristown and Stowe 1855

STEVENS - section of Maidstone

STEVENS MILLS - community in Richford , former P.O.

STEVENSVILLE - community in Underhill

STEVENS VILLAGE - alias Barnet

1761 STOCKBRIDGE - part annexed to Pittsfield 1813 and 1822, portion of Parker's

Gore annexed 1884

1763 STOWE - Mansfield annexed 1848, 1/3 of Sterling annexed 1855

STOWE FORK - section of Stowe

1761 STRAFFORD - Blake's Gore annexed 1785

1761 STRATTON - Stratton Gore annexed 1799, part of Somersset annexed 1858

1763 SUDBURY - part of Hubbardton annexed in 1806

SUMMERVILLE - former P.O. in St. Jonnsbury

SUMMIT - former station in Groton

SUMMIT - former station in Mount Holly

SUMMIT - former station in Warren's Gore

SUMMIT - siding in Walden

SUMMIT SIDING - siding in Newport Town

1761 SUNDERLAND

SUTTON - incorporated by change of name from Billy mead 1812

1763 SWANTON - parts to and from Fairfield 1829, part of Highgate annexed 1836

TAFTS CORNERS - village in Williston

TAFTSVILLE - village in Woodstock

TALCVILLE - village in Rochester

TAMPICO - section of Danville

TARBELLVILLE - village in Mount Holly

TEXAS - section of Concord

THE ISLAND - section of Weston

1761 THETFORD - part of Norwich annexed 1839

1754 THOMLINSON - name changed to Grafton 1792, part of Avery's Gore and Athens

annexed 1816

WALTHAM - incorporated from part of New Haven 1796, part of Addison annexed 1804

1780 WARDSBORO - divided into Wardsboro and Dover 1810, part of Somerset annexed 1851

1791 WARNER'S GRANT or WARNER'S GORE - in Essex County

1789 WARREN - part of Lincoln annexed 1824

1789 WARREN'S GORE - in Essex County (supposedly belongs to Town of Warren

because the legislature felt that Warren did not contain enough land)

1781 WASHINGTON

1763 WATERBURY - part of Middlesex annexed 1850, part of Bolton annexed 1851

WATERFORD - incorporated by change of name from Littleton 1797

1824 WATERVILLE - incorporated from Coit's Gore and parts of Bakersfield and Belvidere

1761 WEATHERSFIELD

WEBSTERVILLE - village in Barre Town

1761 WELLS - part of and parts of other towns incorporated to form town of Middle-

town 1784, part annexed to Poultney 1793

WELLS RIVER - village in Newbury

1761 WENLOCK; east part of Caldersburgh annexed 1801, part annexed to Brighton

1853 and remainder annexed to Ferdinand 1853

WEST FAIRLEE - Fairlee divided into two towns to form Fairlee and West Fairlee 1797

1780 WESTFIELD

1763 WESTFORD - in Chittenden County (see below)

1781 WESTFORD - in Orleans County--name changed to Westmore 1787 because there were

two towns named Westford

WEST HAVEN - incorporated out of Fair Haven

WEST HILL - section of Montgomery

1752 WESTMINSTER

WESTMORE - incorporated by change of name from Westford 1787

WESTON - incorporated out of Benton's Gore and part of Andover 1799, part

annexed to Mount Holly 1870

WEST RUTLAND - incorporated from Rutland 1886

WEST SETTLEMENT - section of Johnson

WEST WINDSOR - incorporated by division of Windsor 1848

WESTVILLE - section of Groton

1761 WEYBRIDGE - part of New Haven annexed 1791, part of Addison annexed 1804,

part of Panton annexed 1806, part annexed to Middlebury 1851

WOOD'S ISLAND (Lake Champlain) - annexed to St. Albans 1845

1761 WOODSTOCK - part annexed to Hartford, parts of Hartland and Hartford annexed 1852

1763 WORCESTER - granted as Worster

WRIGHTSVILLE - village in Middlesex and Montpelier

WYLLYS - alias Carthage, alias Jay 1792

 

 

NEW HAMPSHIRE GRANTS

 

Addison

Leicester

Salisbury

Wilmington

Andover

Ludlow

Sandgate

Winhall

Bennington

Maidstone

Shaftsbury

Woodford

Berlin

Manchester

Sharon

 

Bolton

Mansfield

Shoreham

 

Bridport

Marlboro

Smithfield

 

Charlotte

Middlesex

Somerset

 

Clarendon

Milton

Stanford

 

Cornwall

Monkton

Stockbridge

 

Danby

Meshobe

Stratford

 

Dorset

New Flamstead

Sudbury

 

Duxbury

New Haven

Sunderland

 

Fairfax

Panton

Swanton

 

Fairfield

Peacham

Thetford

 

Fairlee

Pittsford

Tinmouth

 

Ferrisburgh

Pomfret

Townshend

 

Georgia

Poultney

Wallingford

 

Halifax

Pownal

Waterbury

 

Hinesburgh

Roger's Grant

Wells

 

Hubbardton

Rutland

Wenlock

 

Hungerford

St. Albans

Weybridge

 

Killington

St. George

Whitings Grant

 

 

The following New Hampshire towns were annexed to Vermont in 1778 and most were ceded back to New Hampshire in 1782, a couple were ceded back prior to that date.

 

Acworth

Franconia (Morristown)

Lyme

Alstead

Gilson

Marlow (1731)

Althrop

Grafton

Morristown

Bath

Grantham

Newport

Canaan

Gunthwaite

Orford

Cardigan

Hanover

Piermont

Charleston

Haverhill

Plainfield

Chesterfield

Hinsdale

Richmond

Claremont

Lancaster

Saville

Cornish

Landoff

Surry

Cumberland (1779)

Lebanon

Walpole

Dorchester

Leicester

Westmorland

Dresden

Lincoln

 

Enfield

Lyman

 

 

 

The following New York towns were annexed to Vermont in 1781 and ceded back to

New York in 1790:

 

Argyle (Scotch-Patent)

Black Creek

Cambridge

Eastborough

East Saratoga

Fort Edward

Granville

Greenfield

Hoosack

Kingsbury

Little Hoosack

North Granville

Saratoga

Scorticook

Skeensboro

So. Granville

White Creek (New Perth)

 

 

 

 

 

MISC NOTES

1.      Newport town records for 1918, 1919 and 1920 destroyed by fire.Preceding records in Newport City.

2.      Somerset has been discontinued. Records are in Superior Court, Newfane.

3.      Stannard Records burned in 1960s.

4.      Coventry Records burned in 1913. Very few were saved.

5.      Elmore Records burned in 1912.

6.      Richmond had a fire in 1868.

7.      Glover, book #1 missing.

8.      Poultney Records burned in 1860.

9.      Middletown Springs had a fire in 1918.

10.  Marlboro lost some records in 1945 fire.

11.  Rupert Records burned in 1857.

 

 

Vermont Agency of Administration

Public Records Division

Montpelier, Vermont